Topic: AAC-Photo Albums
Australian Service Personnel
NSW Citizens Bushmans Contingent, Contents
Lieutenant Colonel Henry Parke AIREY
The NSW Citizens Bushmans Contingent Album contains the photographs of nearly all the men who were listed as having embarked for service to South Africa with this unit. Other men are listed who did not embark but had their photographs included in the publication.
The New South Wales Citizens Bushmans Contingent embarked from Sydney, New South Wales on 28 February 1900 and returned on 11 June 1901.
These photographs were extracted from the Sydney Mail, 3 March 1900, pp. 506 - 516.
The album may be accessed here:
Notes about the Collection:
* The quality of the pictures vary due to the nature of the original medium which was microfilm. The page images came directly from a microfilm image and so tend to be blurry and grainy. That can't be helped but the images are presented as best as possible.
* The original images appeared in the Sydney Mail, 3 March 1900, and consequently the art of newspaper picture publishing was not as sophisticated as today. So the original source was poor in the first place.
* Compounding this was the poor collation of the collection by the Sydney Mail, which has resulted in photographs being duplicated, faded and illegible copy or poorly named and so rendering the image of the soldier as unidentified. Throughout the album, the duplications are identified. In addition, at the end of the album, unidentified pictures are placed followed by those identified but who did not embark with the NSW Citizens Bushmans Contingent.
* The presentation of each entry is as follows:
All men - listed with their rank on embarkation, their first names if known or if unknown, the initials followed by the family name which is capitalised. Each name is linked to the photograph entry in the album.
Officers - Since they were not issued with a Service Number, they have been listed in order of rank.
Other Ranks - Listed in order of Service Number.
An alphabetical listing of Family Names follows the page lisings.
* As additional photographs come into our possession from other sources, they will be added to Pages 49 and beyond. The names will be also added to the alphabetical listing.
Listings per Album Page
Page 25:Page 26:
Citation: Australian Service Personnel, Photograph Albums, NSW Citizens Bushmans Contingent, Contents