Topic: AIF - 2B - 2 LHB
The First Battle of Gaza
Palestine, 26 to 27 March 1917
2nd Light Horse Brigade, Brigade Order No. 11
2nd Light Horse Brigade War Diary Brigade Order No. 11.
The following is a transcription of the Brigade Order No. 11 from the War Diary of the 2nd Light Horse Brigade detailing their role at the First Battle of Gaza, Palestine, 26 to 27 March 1917.
Brigade Order No. 11
Brigadier General G. de L. Ryrie, CMG
Commanding 2nd Light Horse Brigade AIF
24 March 1917
Reference Map: Sinai Sheet North H36 EIII
1. Information: Tomorrow March 25th, a reconnaissance will be carried out by the Anzac Mounted Division of the line of the Wadi Ghuzze from Tel el Jemmi to the sea. On completion of this reconnaissance, the whole Division will bivouac for the night 25/26th at a site selected at Deir el Belah.
2. Moves(a) The Brigade will leave Camp at 0230 on the 26th march and move to a point ¾ mile east of the Desert Column Headquarters.
Head of Main body will pass starting point, mound North of Machine Gun Squadron at 0230. Brigade will march in column of troops.
Order of march:Brigade Headquarters
2nd Signal Troops
5th Light Horse Regiment
6th Light Horse Regiment (less one troop)
2nd Australian Machine Gun Squadron
7th Light Horse Regiment
7th Mobile Veterinary Section
2nd Light Horse Field Ambulance
(b) The Officer Commanding 6th Light Horse Regiment will detail one Troop as escort to 1st Line Camels proceeding by beach road to Camp at Deir el Belah.
3. Ammunition: 220 rounds per man and the usual amount for Lewis and Machine guns will be taken.
Rations & Forage: One day's rations and one extra ration will be carried by each man. 3 days Mobile ration will be taken on pack horses. One day's forage will be taken.
5. Limbers: All limbers will march with their units.
6. 1st Line Camels: All 1st Line Camels will be formed up on the beach north of Camp at 0300.
7. Entrenching Tools: All entrenching tools will be taken by units on pack horses.
8. Marching out states: Marching out states will be rendered to Brigade Headquarters by 0200.
JH Whyte Major
Brigade Major 2nd Light Horse Brigade
All War Diaries cited on this site should be read in conjunction with the Australian Light Horse Studies Centre, AIF War Diaries of the Great War, Site Transcription Policy which may be accessed at: