Gallipoli Album, May 1915
Gallipoli Album, May 1915
Welcome to the Gallipoli Album, May 1915.

As casualties lists from the Gallipoli Campaign became known in Australia from early May 1915, it became a practice to publish a photograph of individuals. These photographs were supplied by the families of the person on the casualty list. There were few photographs published in relation to the number of casualties listed. To give the extent of the human tragedy that unfolded, the photographs were extracted from the various newspapers and placed in this album. Each photograph is clearly identified to an individual and brief details are given as a short biography.

For a comprehensive listing of photographs in the album, see:

Gallipoli Album, May 1915, Contents

Finding service information.

Navigating the National Archives Service File

Should any further details be sought, see Australian Light Horse Studies Centre

Lest We Forget

eXTReMe Tracker

Private Harold Edwards (wounded), the son of Mr Frank Edwards, of Bondi and the grandson of the late Dr James Edwards, of Tasmania, was 31 years of age and was educated at Balmain, under Mr Robert Beavis. On the outbreak of war he resigned his position as an accountant in Adelaide, enlisted, and was attached to the 10th Infantry, 1st South Australian Contingent. Prior to going to Adelaide, Private Edwards followed mining pursuits, and was well known in the Kurri Kurri district, South Maitland, being identified with the local football club. He was also a Past Master of the Loyal Kurri Lodge, Manchester Unity IOOF. His brother, Sergeant Rupert Edwards, is now in Egypt with the 7th Light Horse Regiment.

The Sydney Morning Herald, Tuesday 11 May 1915, page 8.

287 Private Harold EDWARDS, a 31 year old Machinist from Mary Street, Unley, South Australia. He enlisted on 19 August 1914 and was allotted to the 10th Battalion, A Company which embarked from embarked from Adelaide, South Australia, on board HMAT A11 Ascanius on 20 October 1914. During the Gallipoli Campaign he was Wounded in Action, 25 April 1915. He subsequently Returned to Australia 20 January 1916.

Sydney Mail, 19 May 1915, p. 18.